Whip up some hot cocoa and throw on your most comfortable pajamas because we’ve rounded up a list of fun family-friendly activities for Christmas Eve.
Watch a Holiday Movie
Cozy up around the television with these fun holiday-themed movies:
- Elf (a comedy sure to make the whole family laugh)
- Home Alone (both 1 and 2 of course)
- The Polar Express (a favorite childhood story the whole family can enjoy)
- It’s a Wonderful Life (an ageless classic)
- Miracle on 34th Street (both versions are great)
- The Santa Clause (Tim Allen as Santa? Enough said)
- A Christmas Story (“You’ll shoot your eye out!”)
- The Holiday (a great story for the older generation)
- Love Actually (another solid choice for the mature audience)
- National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation (a cult-classic)
- Meet Me in St. Louis (a Judy Garland favorite)
- The Muppet Christmas Carol (your favorite childhood characters’ rendition of a classic story)
- A Charlie Brown Christmas (a short but sweet holiday favorite)
Family Game Night
Looking for something a bit more interactive? What better night to gather the whole family for game night than Christmas Eve? Here are some family favorites:
- Apples to Apples
- Head’s Up (available in the app store)
- Charades (perfect if you don’t have any games on hand)
- Monopoly (because you actually have time to finish the game!)
You can’t forget about Santa’s cookies! According to The North Pole Times, these are Santa’s favorite cookies. In case you’re interested in trying a variety of cookies, check out these great options from Delish. Have little ones who are eager to get in on the action, here are 12 kid-friendly cookie options from Parents.
Look at Christmas Lights
Few holiday memories stand out in a child’s mind more than piling in the car and checking out Christmas lights. An easy family tradition that’s fun for everyone, make this year’s extra special by playing Christmas music from one of Spotify’s many holiday playlists and bringing your hot cocoa to go!
Check out this list of The Best Neighborhoods to See Christmas Lights in 2016 from Redfin, and here’s a list for best lights by state.
The next day is often full of meals fit to feed an army, resulting in a mess fit for an entire cleaning crew, so why not go easy on yourself and save the kitchen mess for the next day by ordering some easy take out. With the growing list of delivery services, even your favorite restaurants are takeout options for Christmas Eve.
Matching Christmas Pajamas
You’ll score extra points if you do any of the above in matching family Christmas pajamas. Come on, when else is it socially acceptable for your family of all ages to sport matching pajamas than on Christmas Eve while sharing a flick or checking out the neighborhood lights. Here are some great PJ ideas from big box stores and Amazon so you can’t even use the excuse that you didn’t have a chance to get to the mall!
Does your family have any Christmas Eve traditions? We’d love to hear; share in the comments below.
Merry Christmas from your friends at D.R. Horton.